Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Welcome Message From our Coach

Hello Team:

My name is Geoff Shepherd and I will be coaching our children’s U6 soccer team. I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and my family and outline some of the goals I hope to accomplish this season, as well as provide some important details in preparing for the season.

My daughter, Zoe (age 5) is extremely excited and is looking forward to the season. The Shepherd cheering section will include my wife, Julie (age omitted), as well as my oldest daughter, Cali (age 7). We moved to Novato in 2006 and enjoy being a part of the Novato community. I am a local business owner in town and am fortunate enough to live and work here in Novato.

With regard to my soccer knowledge, I played recreational soccer through high school, as well as some adult recreational leagues, but it has been years since I have been on the field as a player, so I am sure the kids will have me running.

Thankfully, Patti Moresco, the mother of Dominic Moresco, has offered to co-coach with me. If there are any other parents who would like to participate as a coach, please let me know. My goal is to run a practice that promotes parent participation, so if you are there watching the practice, hopefully you will not mind if I bring you into the activities.


In terms of practice, I have signed up for the following:

Days: Tuesday & Thursday

Time: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm

Location: Pleasant Valley Elementary School

· The target date for the first practice is Thursday, August 13th (please advise of any conflict)


My goals for the season are the following:

1. Have Fun! I want each and every player to come away with a positive experience looking forward to the next season

2. Safety. From inspecting the field prior to practice, to conducting drills that are age appropriate, to ensuring that every child has a ride home with an identified adult after practice, the safety of the children is very important.

3. Skill introduction. I am looking forward to observing the varying degree of skill level, and my goal is to introduce the basic skills that will help to prepare them for advancing to the next level. I am open to any suggestions/assistance parents may have with regard to specific drills.

4. Communication. I want to keep all lines of communication flowing amongst myself, the team, and the parents. Below I will provide all of my contact information, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time with any suggestion, question or concern.

5. Have Fun! Yep it is there twice – this age group wants to run and play, and I do not want to get in the way of that. Plus, we parents can have fun in the process.


I need your help with regard to a team name. I asked my daughters for some ideas, and there was some interesting offers (“Doug” from the movie up was one). If you and your child can please choose one of the following, the name with the largest number of votes will be our official team name:

1. Strikers

2. Pumas

3. Sharks


If you have a name that you really think is perfect I am open to suggestions, but I do not want to make the team name process too complicated.

Here are some important dates to be aware of:

August 29th – Parade, Picture Day, and Opening Day

September 3rd – No practice (Pleasant Valley Open House)

November 8th – USF Novato Youth Soccer Day (all league participants get in free @ USF soccer game)

I am looking forward to the season and getting to know the parents and the kids. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,



Geoff Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment